Sunday, November 29, 2009

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

Let me just start out by saying that I lived in Denver, Colorado for six years and found this little cafe right by my work that had the most amazing chicken tortilla soup. I have tried many other soups elsewhere and nothing comes close to that little cafe. For years I have attempted to make my own version and while this still is not the same, it is quick, easy and really tasty. It is a slow cooker recipe, but if you don't have one, it can be made on the stovetop as well. It freezes well and fed my husband and I for several meals!

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours
8 servings

1 lb chicken breasts (can be thawed or frozen)
1 (15 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 3/4 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (10 oz) package frozen corn
1 tbsp. chopped cilantro

Place all ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours. Shred the chicken breasts and stir them back into the spoon. Optional toppings: cilantro, avocado, tortilla chips, sour cream and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment